Monday, November 24, 2003

Next Sunday marks the beginning of Advent season. This is the season BEFORE Christmas. Since becoming an Anglican over 5 years ago, I have been trained to anticipate Christmas (a season made up of 12 days beginning Dec. 25) and not celebrate it early. Doing this sanctifies time and makes the calendar a practice for spiritual formation.

Here's the problem. The culture. Now, I am not a cultural curmudgeon - there are a lot of things about 21st century north american culture that I like. But beginning Christmas the week before Thanksgiving is not one of them. I'm not kidding. Rees (my 6 year old son) went to Kohl's so I could buy a couple of pairs of slacks (most of mine are ratty from 5 years of seminary). All through the store were strains of Christmas carols and songs. I love Christmas music - I even sing it in the summer - but I hate the idea Kohl's that is trying to warm my heart with the strains of "chestnuts roasting over an open fire," not so I can reflect on the reason for the season, but so I spend more money!!

Again, I don't mind spending money during the XMas season - there are many people whose livelihoods depend upon that. But don't try to trick me into it!!! Let's at least be real here!! I got kids who want stuff. They store owners want my money. It is a moral, economic transaction - I believe in the free market (Don't mean to offend my liberationist/Marxist/Christian friends). BUT DO WE HAVE TO BE TACKY ABOUT IT!! BAH!! HUMBUG!!

Where's Ebenezer Scrooge when you need him?

No comments: