Saturday, August 02, 2008

Politics and Epistemology or Pick a Party and Vote

I have to admit, I can't relate to folks who spend a lot of time pondering who the best man for the job is when it comes to presidential politics. The reason is that it seems to me that it is impossible to know who the best man for the job is (or woman). Take Obama and McCain -- how can I really know who they are and what they believe?

Should I look at their voting records? Sorry, but that isn't always helpful because there are usually many reasons for a vote on a particular bill -- and often it is about log rolling to get something one wants put in the bill.

Should I look at their platforms? That can be helpful, but both Obama and McCain have moved away from their original platforms?

My answer is to pick a party and vote for it. Why? Because in a republic shaped by a two party system a politician never acts alone, even the president. They have to work with other politicians and they primarily work with politicians in their own party.

When you pick a party you should not look at the details of the platform. That really doesn't matter. You should look at the general trajectory of the party and vote for it. If you generally like the trajectory of the republicans vote republican. If you generally like the trajectory of the democrats vote democratic. This is part of the reason parties exist. The individual voter cannot psycho-analyze candidates and now what they will do as president. Parties have sets of values. Parties attract people to their fold who fit in the party's tent and the party vets the candidate.

So my counsel is pick a party and vote for it. You will save yourself time and energy. And in my view it is a more rational way to deal with the process.

No comments: