Thursday, September 04, 2003

I just found out that my blog is linked to the Asbury Seminary Web Parish Blog. I figured I better blog about something!

My son Dylan is turning 10 in a month. I am learning that I must be intentional to connect into his life and world or else he will grow distant from me. Another eight years will go by and I will end up having only a perfunctory relationship with my son.

Last night he got angry with his mother, and so I summarily marched upstairs, sat him down, pointed a finger in his face and lectured him about his misbehavior. As I was lecturing him I could see the crestfallen look in his eyes and knew that I had wounded him. But being the "godly" man that I am I continued to give him a "good talking to."

Afterwards I went downstairs to watch Robert Plant on Austin City Limits. As I was enjoying the music, my heart grew more and more restless (I think I was being what my baptist friends call "convicted."). I decided I had to go talk things over with Dylan. I asked him how he felt about what I did, I apologized for my manner (didn't approve his behavior) and admitted to him that sometimes I just don't know how to be a good dad but that I want to learn how to be one. You know what happened? When I became vulnerable and let him see me as a person who struggles his demeanor changed and we had a precious time together. Wow.

Parenting - what a tough job sometimes!! Do you know why Paul told fathers to not exasperate their children in Ephesians 6 - because it is very, very easy to do so!!

Lord help me to be a good dad. I can't do it alone!!

No comments: