Saturday, February 05, 2005

LENT AS A SEASON OF GRACE III

"You're teaching me ...aaahhh
Your love is teaching me ...aaaah
How to kneel
Kneel"

"Vertigo"
from How To Dismantle and Atomic Bomb
by Bono and The Edge


This little snippet from U2's new song "Vertigo" captures the notion I've been pondering lately. The goal of lent is that we would be more faithful disciples of Jesus -- i.e., that we would kneel. The thing that teaches to do that is God's prodigous love. We love because he first loved us.

I don't know what experiences provide the backdrop to this song. Like most good art, U2's music is not meant to be a literal recount a story or idea, but to evoke feelings and sensibilities. Intended or not though, this phrase, "your love is teaching me how to kneel" is a great theme for lent. We live more deeply as true worshippers because we have a greater vision of the extravaant love of God.

Cheers.

No comments: