Tuesday, December 19, 2006

Church Marketing -- Mostly Lies

I know this is going to sound cynical, but it really isn't. I've been thinking about different advertisements for new churches I've either received in the mail or heard on the radio. I really think these things over promise and under deliver.

Here are some common claims:

-A church where everyone is welcome! -- Every church I've been part of has failed to welcome some people. This isn't right, but churches are full of sinners in recovery. We often fall off the wagon.

-A warm family like church! -- Okay, this is a good thing. The church is like a family. But what this kind of marketing appeals to is our longing to be members of the Waltons. Real families are messy places where people get hurt as well as get loved and accepted. Churches are like that too! I don't think I will evert see that on a four color glossy mailing.

-Relevant messages! -- C'mon, get real. Even the messages that work overtime at being relevant aren't really that relevant. Unless you are interested in seeking God, NPR or The Learning Channel are much more relevant to one's life.

I think most church marketing is a sham. It's mostly lies. It over promises and under delivers. 'Nuff said.

No comments: