Tuesday, March 02, 2004

The Matthews Evangelistic Association

Last week Rees was talking to me and I asked him if he was a Christian. He said that he did not know. So I said, "you wanna know?" He said, "sure." So I told him. Then I said you want to talk to Jesus so he can be your savior. He prayed with me and asked Jesus to be his savior. Now, after his "conversion experience," Rees is making it point to ask everyone he knows if they are a Christian or he tells them that he is a Christian.

I have a middle view on kids "receiving Christ". On one hand, if Rees or any of my other kids wants to receive Christ than I will help them do it. I want to honor and respect the sensitivity of their heart to the Lord. On the other hand, I recognize that the faith of a five year old is not the faith that will sustain an adult follower of Jesus. I imagine Rees will "accept Christ" 100 times - and that's okay with me because it is the manifestation of movement toward Christ. I think that is a good thing. He has been baptized into Christ and my job is to help him live into all that his baptism means and receive all the grace offered in his baptism. I think his prayer the other day is part of that.

For now, the evangelistic mission goes on.

No comments: